Welcome to Summer University (SUN), a very special postgraduate study-abroad program within Central European University (CEU).for more info see http://summer.ceu.hu/
CEU is a graduate-level research-intensive university specializing in the social sciences, humanities, public policy, and management. Located in Budapest, CEU is accredited in both the United States and Hungary. Its mission is to promote academic excellence, state-of-the-art research, and civic engagement in order to contribute to the development of open societies in Central and Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union, and other emerging democracies worldwide.
While CEU's summer program is relatively young, it has evolved dynamically, emerging over the past 16 years as one of the most important programs for young social-science and humanities scholars in the region and beyond. SUN is highly international, with students from over 90 countries and faculty members from over 30 countries. With students from more than 100 countries overall, CEU offers a rare university environment in which no single nationality predominates and both academic and social activities involve a richly dense cross-section of nationalities.
SUN is a meeting place for academics and professionals eager to look beyond their disciplinary boundaries. Students are exposed to an immense diversity of countries, disciplines, and perspectives, and have the opportunity to discuss issues openly in an atmosphere of tolerance and intellectual curiosity.
While most of our participants are PhD students, we attract many others as well. These include postdoctoral fellows, junior researchers and other junior faculty; plus representatives of national and international organizations and ministries.
SUN faculty teams consist of CEU professors and leading scholars and experts from universities worldwide. Our instructors work collaboratively with students on a variety of complex social and scientific themes, applying both traditional and nontraditional methods.
23 June - 3 July, 2014
7 July - 12 July, 2014
23 June - 30 June, 2014
Policy and Training courses
6 July - 12 July, 2014
7 July - 11 July, 2014
23 June - 4 July, 2014
14 July - 18 July, 2014
6 July - 11 July, 2014
10 May - 26 June, 2014
21 July - 25 July, 2014
The tuition fees are listed below by courses. Take advantage of the reduced Early Bird Fee due by April 30, 2014 (see details below for course-specific rates). Please note that no early bird rates apply to the Social Science Research Methods and the Bridging Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) and the Environment courses.
COURSE TUITION FEE (EUR) DUE BY MAY 28 / EARLY BIRD FEE (EUR) UNTIL APRIL 30
550 / 500
- Comparative Regionalisms
- Constitution-building in Africa
- Drug Policy and Human Rights
- Green Industry: Pathways Towards the Industry of the Future
- Mental Disability Law
300 / 270
- Advocacy, Activism and the Internet: Communication Policy for Social Change
- Luminosus Limes
- Mediation Theory and Skills
- Morality: Evolutionary Origins and Cognitive Mechanisms
- Moral Epistemology
- Social Theory and Romany Studies
- Strategic Human Rights Litigation
250 / no early bird rate available for this course
- Bridging ICTs - Making Information Talk
- Bridging ICTs - Spatial Planninng
600 / no early bird rate available for this course
- Social Science Research Methods (online only)
1000 / no early bird rate available for this course
- Social Science Research Methods (online and 3-day face-to-face course in Budapest)
1200 / 1080 (If you are an academic (graduate student, faculty or researcher) or employed by a local non-profit organisation, you are eligible to pay a reduced fee of 800 EUR/720 EUR Early Bird fee)
- SME and Social Enterprises - Doing Business with Integrity in Emerging Markets
- Mainstreaming Integrity - Exploring the challenges and opportunities for institutionalising and mainstreaming integrity
- Integrity Education: Teaching Integrity and Improving the Integrity of Higher Education
NA / NA (Due to their special funding scheme, the course below does not charge a tuition fee.)
- Innovative Financing for Quality Education
FINANCIAL AIDThe general principles for financial aid are summarized below; please visit the course web pages to see the course-specific financial aid policy which may be different.
Eligibility and guidelines for financial aid
- Participants from Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union and Mongolia, as well as those coming from emerging countries worldwide can apply for financial aid in all categories listed above.
- Participants from developed countries are expected to pay tuition fee. However, there are a limited number of tuition waivers available on a competitive basis. Those who wish to apply for a tuition waiver should submit a cover letter specifying their reasons via the online application form.
- Participants are NOT eligible to receive financial aid if they
attended two CEU funded Summer University courses within a four-year
Financial aid is available in the following categories:
- tuition waiver
- accommodation grant
- travel grant (full or partial)
- tuition of 24 contact hours per week
- a certificate of attendance
- ECTS credit points where applicable
- access to course E-learning page (with readings, assignments, etc.)
- access to CEU facilities (Library, IT services, and, if you are housed in CEU’s Residence Center a sports centre including the use of the indoor swimming pool, tennis courts)
- some social and cultural events (welcome and farewell reception, outings, fieldtrips, film screenings, etc.)
- Tuition Waiver
Financial aid: tuition fee waived
Participant's contribution: health insurance, travel, accommodation and living expenses
- Partial SUN Scholarship
Financial aid: tuition fee waived and free accommodation in a double room
Participant's contribution: health insurance, travel and living expenses
- Full SUN Scholarship
Financial aid: tuition fee waived; free accommodation in a double room and a full or partial travel grant.
Participant's contribution: health insurance and living expenses.The Full SUN Scholarship includes a full or partial travel grant which can be applied for on a competitive basis and will be available in a limited number. Visa costs and short domestic trips are not reimbursed. The citizens of the following countries are not eligible to apply for a travel grant: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and the western part of Ukraine and qualify therefore for a Partial SUN Scholarship.