Head of Programs
Asia - Yangon, Myanmar
Head of Programs
Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and a European office in Brussels, Belgium, SFCG’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. SFCG seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With over 600 staff worldwide, SFCG implements projects across 35 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff passionate about their work.
SFCG is growing in Myanmar with a diverse team of ethnically and religiously diverse national peacebuilders implementing innovative work together with nine local partners, supported by the European Union, UNDP and the Kan Let program, using media, information management and training and capacity building to support societal contributions to the national peace process and social cohesion country-wide.
Summary of Position
The Head of Programs plays a vital role in growing SFCG’s newly established country program in Myanmar. The position works closely with the Country Director by leading the implementation of multi-pronged peacebuilding and media programs, hiring, training and mentoring staff to become Myanmar’s leading peace-builders, and developing strong collaboration with implementing partners and donors. In addition, this position will play a lead role in developing strategies, designing new projects, writing proposals, and contributing to the vision of the organisation. The position is located in Yangon but will require some travel to remote regions. The Head of Programs will report to the Country Director and will manage a current team of six program staff. S/he will serve on the Leadership Management Team of SFCG|Myanmar.
- Manage implementation of SFCG’s programs.
- Ensure excellent program cycle management.
- Ensure detailed and effective program planning, including developing and executing detailed work plans, and budget projections.
- Conceptualize and write new projects and proposals, and project budgets.
- Support the consolidation of reporting procedures
- Oversee monitoring and evaluation work to effectively capture results and contribute to internal institutional learning/reflection and external dissemination.
- Lead donor reporting.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with all stakeholders including government, donors, media, local civil society and partners to further SFCG’s mission in country.
- Train and manage a strong, healthy and inspired program team.
- Provide capacity building and support to staff and partners.
- Provide oversight and coordination of partners’ project implementation.
- Ensure high-caliber program methodology across all areas of work.
- Keep abreast of and navigate the conflict dynamics in country.
- Contribute to the development of SFCG’s country strategy in Myanmar and ensure SFCG’s programs are relevant.
- Develop and design new projects to support the peace/transition process.
- Strong familiarity/experience of the conflict context and key players in Myanmar.
- 4 to 7 years project management experience working with persons from diverse ethnic and religious backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience in peacebuilding/conflict resolution.
- Excellent program/grant management skills.
- Common grounder – able to build relationships across dividing lines.
- Outstanding writing, presentation and communication skills.
- Excellent management, interpersonal, networking and facilitation skills.
- Natural coach, mentor and trainer, able to bring out the best in team players.
- Proactive, detail oriented and highly organized with ability to multi-task.
- Financial management skills, including budget management.
- Solution-orientated positive personality.
- Computer literacy proficiency, including solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Advanced Degree in relevant subject.
- Demonstrated experience in media production, particularly through radio and television.
- Experience working in Myanmar
- Proficiency in Myanmar Language
Please send a cover letter / letter of application, resume, salary requirements (or current salary), projected start date, through our application system at: https://sfcg.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=393. No phone calls please. Deadline for applications is 15 December 2015. See our web site www.sfcg.org for full details of our work globally.