for more info see http://www.ineesite.org/en/jobs/view/director-inee-international-re...
- Director, INEE
- INEE (Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies)
- New York
- 1 June 2014
- The Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies (INEE) is
seeking a Director. The INEE Director is responsible for managing and
providing strategic direction to the overall work of INEE, through the
INEE Secretariat and in consultation with the INEE Steering Group. The
INEE Director ensures effective resource mobilization and financial
oversight, strategy development and implementation, staff supervision,
and coordination and project management across all INEE programmes. S/he
oversees internal and external communications, represents the network
in key forums, and strategically engages as a global advocate for the
field of education in emergencies. S/he works in conjunction with the
INEE Steering Group on all strategic decisions affecting the network
(further guidance on this coordination process will be provide to
The INEE Director is contracted by and hosted at the International Rescue Committee office in New York (US work visa can be sponsored). This position requires at least 40% travel.
- The Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies (INEE) is a
global, open network of over 10,000 members working together within a
humanitarian and development framework to ensure all persons the right
to quality and safe education in crisis and crisis-prone situations. A
Secretariat manages the day-to-day activities of INEE, hired and hosted
by INEE member agencies – including IRC – primarily in New York and
Geneva. A Steering Group of 10 agencies provides strategic advice to the
Secretariat and its Director, and is consulted for high-level
decisions, messages and commitments on behalf of INEE. Various Working
Groups and Task Teams form the technical arm of INEE, from which
knowledge, tools, and other services are defined and delivered through
the support of its many humanitarian and development agencies, as well
as specialized technical members.
- Major Responsibilities:
Drive the vision, mission and strategy for INEE and the education in emergencies community
- Ensure the alignment of all INEE coordination mechanisms (i.e. INEE Working Groups, Task Teams and Language Communities) and programmes (e.g. communications) with the overall strategic plan and vision of the network
- Be the “face” of INEE as a public advocate for education in emergencies, in line with the messages, roles and commitments strategically provided by the network, and ensuring appropriate and effective outreach and liaison with partners and stakeholders
- Oversee the process to develop INEE’s next strategic plan for 2015-2017 in coordination with the INEE Steering Group, the Deputy Director, INEE Working Groups and other key stakeholders
- Organize and facilitate a process to develop relevant governing documents for the network, in close consultation with the INEE Steering Group, internal INEE organs and other key stakeholders as appropriate
- Ensure effective implementation and monitoring of the INEE strategic plan including coordinating the development of Secretariat work plans to implement the strategic plan’s objectives and activities
- Oversee the work of all INEE Working Groups, Task Teams and Language Communities and ensure their alignment with the INEE strategic plan and with each other
- Recommend adjustments, when needed of, of INEE strategic plan to the INEE Steering Group and ensure proper follow-up
- Ensure effective communication with the INEE Steering Group including leading the organization of bi-annual face-to-face meetings and virtual calls
- Maintain good working relationships with the roles of the INEE Steering Group and Working Groups, and support continuous engagement with Steering Group and Working Group members throughout the year
- Attend INEE Working Group meetings as needed
- Represent INEE at the highest level, ensuring the role of INEE within the global education in emergencies community is well understood
- Attend meetings, conferences and other events as warranted to elevate the profile of the network
- Maintain relationships with current donors, and establish relationships with new donors
- Ensure fundraising strategy meets INEE’s financial obligations in line with staffing needs, on-going operations and agreed growing and expanded role
- Ensure each year necessary funds are raised to respond to all INEE’s obligations
- Increase current annual income in line with strategic direction of INEE Strategic Plan, engaging the Steering Group as needed and appropriate
- Support the preparation of grant request to donors and foundations aligned to INEE’s strategic goals
- Provide fundraising updates to the INEE Steering Group bi-annually
- Ensure that the Secretariat organizational structure, operational policies and processes are sound and enable the Secretariat to deliver on strategic plan priorities
- Develop internal policies and procedures to improve Secretariat functionality as needed and appropriate
- Supervise senior Secretariat staff and carry out mid-term and end-year performance reviews for staff
- Ensure cross-thematic engagement of staff
- Plan and propose strategic staffing needs / changes in Secretariat structure in consultation with the Steering Group and available funding
- Participate in recruitment and hiring related activities for INEE Secretariat staff following best practice guidelines and competitive processes
- Maintain excellent working relations with INEE hosting/hiring organizations
- In conjunction with the INEE Administration Officer, create and monitor budgets in all hiring/hosting agencies
- Ensure all forms, reports, grant financial statements, etc. are produced and submitted in a timely manner
- Education: An advanced university degree (Masters or above) in a
relevant field: education, international affairs or political science.
Work Experience: Minimum ten years directly relevant professional experience managing organizations and/or large-scale programmes including complex projects with staff in remote locations. Management experience in resource mobilization and partnership development including inter-agency or inter-governmental work required, as well as extensive international experience and expert communications skills.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Extensive experience working in an international environment on complex global issues and with a range of stakeholders.
- Experience in facilitating of multi-stakeholder processes as well as proven skills for networking, coordination and facilitation across a range of stakeholders and partners including UN agencies, donors, local communities, NGOs and governments.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, including experience managing multiple complex projects and deadlines involving different partners in remote locations.
- Experience effectively leading, managing, supervising and motivating staff and teams, including ability to provide strategic direction and intellectual leadership.
- Expert advocacy and public speaking skills as well as editing and writing skills with a focus on leveraging lessons learnt to improve policy and programming.
- Experience in maintaining and growing donor relations as well as in cross-organizational budgeting and financial reporting and oversight.
- Excellent inter-personal, communications skills, ideally in multiple languages.
- Knowledge and solid understanding of the INEE network, including its past and current initiatives and processes, the field of education in emergencies and the humanitarian and development communities.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Language Skills: Excellent knowledge of English, both speaking and writing skills, is required. Working proficiency in at least one additional language (e.g. Arabic, French, Spanish, etc.) is highly desirable.
- Apply at http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=IRC&am...